help image


Among the large number of questions the clerk receives, there are a few that are asked more than most. Here you will find many of these "Frequently Asked Questions" and their answers.

If your particular question is not here, or you need elaboration on an answer given here, feel free to contact the Clerk by phone below or by email.


  • What is needed to get a marriage license?
  • All that is required for single adults to obtain a marriage license is for them to come in person to the Clerk's office, bring their driver's license or other acceptable Identification (Government issued I.D.) and be prepared to pay the fee for the License.

    Also required is for both applicants to provide a Social Security number. Applicants who are not citizens may provide an immigration registration card, passport or other Government issued I.D.

    Applicants are required to read the family law handbook and once completed sign an affidavit to that effect. F.S. 741.04(B).
  • How must I pay for the marriage license fee?
  • Cash, checks and credit cards are accepted for payment.
  • Do both parties have to be present at the Clerk's Office to apply for the marriage license?
  • Yes (Exceptions can be made only when there is good cause in extreme circumstances.)
  • Is a blood test required for the applicants to apply for the marriage license?
  • No. A blood test for marriages in the state of Florida is no longer required.
  • How long does it take to get a marriage license?
  • Florida law requires a three-day waiting period between application and the effective date of a marriage license. The waiting period can be waived if applicants show proof of having recently attended at least four hours of marriage counseling with a provider registered with the Clerk's Office or both parties being out of state residents.
  • What are the basic restrictions for obtaining a marriage license?
  • To obtain a license without parental consent, both the male and female must be at least 18 years of age. The 18-year minimum age does not apply for individuals who have been married previously. A county judge may waive the age requirement for applicants who can prove they are parents or expectant parents.
  • Can an individual who is younger than 16 get a marriage license?
  • No. With or without parental permission, only a county judge can issue a marriage license to anyone under age 16.
  • Is the signature of just one parent sufficient to qualify as a parental permission for a minor to marry?
  • Yes, if that parent has sole legal custody of the minor or if the other parent is deceased.
  • How long is the marriage license valid?
  • Florida marriage licenses are valid for 60 days from the effective date of the license. The marriage license form must be returned to the Clerk's Office for recording within 10 days after the marriage is performed.
  • How long does it usually take to get a certified copy of our marriage record?
  • Certified copies are normally received within 10 days after the completed marriage certificate is returned to the clerk's office for recording in the official records.
  • How much does it cost for a certified copy of the marriage certificate and how does one request/obtain certified copies?
  • One certified copy is provided as part of the marriage license fee, there is no additional cost. Additional certified copies may be obtained for a fee of $3.00 each. Prior to 1972, Certified Copies are $7.00. You can request certified copies by calling (850) 606-4060 or by coming into one of our offices located at 1276 Metropolitan Blvd., Ste. 101, Tallahassee, FL 32312 or 301 South Monroe Street, Ste. #100, Tallahassee, FL 32301. You may also send a written request along with payment to Leon County Clerk & Comptroller, Attn: Official Records, 301 South Monroe Street, Ste. 100, Tallahassee FL 32301.
  • Does one or both of the marriage license applicants have to be an American citizen?
  • Neither applicant must be a citizen. There is no citizenship requirement to obtain a marriage license.
  • Can the Clerk's office perform the marriage for us?
  • Yes, deputy clerks can perform a civil marriage ceremony. There is a $30.00 fee for performing this service.
  • Do we have to make an advance appointment for a license and a civil marriage ceremony?
  • Marriage licenses are issued without appointments during normal business hours. Appointments must be made if you wish for the Clerk's Office to perform the ceremony. Appointments may be made during normal business hours at either of the two following locations: Northeast Branch (NEB), 1276 Metropolitan Boulevard, #101, or at the county courthouse, 301 S. Monroe Street, #100. Click here for our current hours of operation.
  • My husband and I want to renew our vows. Do we need to get a marriage license for this?
  • No.
  • How do we renew our marriage vows?
  • Please consult your clergyman, chaplain, other religious adviser or personal counselor.
  • Do I need my divorce papers or death certificate of my spouse in order to apply for a marriage license?
  • No. You do not need the documents, unless your marriage ended in the last 60 days, however, the application does require you to note how your last marriage ended (divorce, annulment or death) and the exact date (month, day and year).
  • Can people obtain a license to marry partners of their own gender?
  • Yes. Effective January 6, 2015 per Court Order, applicants of the same gender can apply for a license to marry.

    Click here for the marriage Information Sheet